Pages

Sunday, July 15, 2018

Week 2: Tailoring Your Resume

This was an interesting activity. I changed my resume to fit the job descriptions slightly more but ended up with the same results for the first one. This job is with Skystorm Productions for an Executive Producer for Commercial Video Production. On the first scan, my results for 51%. For the second scan, they were the exact same results.

The results were interesting though. The things I was missing according to JobScan were keywords that I do not feel comfortable adding to my resume. Keywords such as proposal, design, and writing. I am not comfortable with embellishing my resume with skills I don't necessary have. What this shows me is that I am not qualified for this position even though I do have most of the skills they are looking for.

The second job I looked into was for a Project Manager in Experience Development for Universal Orlando. This didn't change either in my JobScan although I did tweak my resume more to match this job (even though I know I am not qualified). I am not sure how the website works but it says I am missing certain keywords such as customer experience, brand management, and user experience that I added to my resume.

For the purpose of this activity, I understand what is required and why this is useful although I didn't want to find a lesser position just to find a better match rate on JobScan.  I know what my qualifications are and understand that there are a many ways to constantly be improving my resume which I am open to doing. I am more aware of how my resume is viewed, scanned by companies or their software, and know that for each position, I need to tweak and focus on certain aspects in order to get me noticed.

No comments:

Post a Comment